Thursday, September 23, 2010

Priorities, and standing out from the herd.

While knocking on doors this evening, I was talking about the long-term future of Thunder Bay, and how we can attract young people to the city, and encourage the local kids to choose this city to establish themselves in.

I have not spent much time during this campaign talking directly about jobs and economic development. I recognize the importance of a proactive city council in securing large employers for the city, and upon my election I intend to work hard in this direction. I also recognize that there are nearly forty other candidates walking the streets, emphasizing above all else “Jobs, Jobs, Jobs”.

Having stable and responsible companies doing business in the city is always a priority, but it cannot be pursued exclusively. Developing a healthy and safe community creates an environment which encourages immigration and entrepreneurship.

The strength of the city council model is in the breadth of experience offered by the councillors. I am a 33 year old recent university graduate, with a background in local small businesses, organic agriculture, and community theatre. As such, I offer a unique perspective amoung the candidates. I hope to offer this perspective to City Council, to help make this city more culturally cohesive, healthy, and economically prosperous.

1 comment:

  1. This is a point well taken. Nobody runs on a "I want less jobs" platform. Obviously as city council I would expect jobs to be a key focal point, but this is not a political point of view. I would rather hear how our council intends to make this a better city to live in. Great jobs come from having a city people want to live in.

    ReplyDelete